“Low Fat Chicken Recipes”
Looking for some “low fat chicken recipes” to kick start the new year? Well if you’re like most people you are probably looking for some healthy chicken dishes like this!
Low fat chicken recipes are easy and fast to make and require just a few ingredients and not a lot of time or preparation. This makes these ideal for busy people who want to be healthy but don’t have a lot of time to cook.
Let’s talk Chicken
Before we dive into the different options you have for low fat chicken recipes, let’s examine why chicken is good for you, what is best for low fat chicken recipes and why.
Chicken is a very light meat that naturally has very little fat and is primarily made up of a lot of protein. That makes it a great diet food especially for those of you who are working out and building muscle. As your muscles break down from working out they require protein to help build them back up to be bigger and stronger. Chicken a meat that comes recommended by athletic trainers for that reason (probably the most recommended actually). When trainers do recommend eating chicken they recommend incorporating it into low fat chicken recipes though so that you don’t add any more calories or fat than is needed.
The nice part of chicken for those of you who are maybe not hitting the gym constantly but who are looking to be healthier, is that it is the universal meat that goes well with just about everything because it doesn’t have as distinct a flavor that some other meats do.
Other Healthy Ingredients
Here is a list of items that I really like and that you have probably seen paired with chicken and maybe even a part of your low fat chicken recipes:
- Spinach – Considered to be one of the healthiest most nutrient packed foods out there. You will see spinach used in a lot of dishes and usually has the name “Florentine” attached to it. So if you see any low fat chicken recipes that are called something like “Chicken Florentine,” you will know that there is probably some spinach somewhere in it.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – These are literally tomatoes that have been dried in the sun. They are generally sweet with a tougher more chewy texture (but not too tough) than regular tomatoes. They really add some great flavor to any of the low fat chicken recipes without adding any fat, sugar or salt.
- Onions and Garlic – These two items together are a match made in heaven. Sometimes I will just season items with salt, pepper, garlic and onion, this combination goes well with just about everything, especially low fat chicken recipes!
Let’s talk about the different options that you have for your low fat chicken recipes, because you may not even have to cook anything, you could just assemble already prepared items!
Heating & Assembling
This is the easiest way to put together a quick dinner. These ideas are not only quick and easy but healthy and affordable.
- Rotisserie Chicken – The nice part about rotisserie chickens is that they are available for between 5 and 10 dollars and can feed at least 2 to 4 adults comfortably. I like these for my low fat chicken recipes because they are so flavorful. Plus, they are already cooked, which means all you have to do is grab one on your way out of the store and take it home and it’s ready! Costco used to be one of the only places to get these little gems for your low fat chicken recipes, but most grocery stores have them now as well. You can eat it on the bones or take it off the bones and shred it into soups, or into pastas for easy flavorful additions.
- Pre Cooked Chicken strips (fresh or frozen) – Again, already cooked! All you have to do is heat and serve! These are ideal for low fat chicken recipes because most low fat chicken recipes call for chicken breast meat and 99% of the time that is what these are!
For those of you who will be cooking, here are some different options for your low fat chicken recipes:
- Chicken & Rice – I like to use this classic combination with bone-in chicken thighs and brown rice to give it some great flavor but also a healthy feel. Just remember 2 parts liquid (I use chicken stock or broth) to one part rice. Throw the chicken, rice and liquid together and cook covered in the oven at 350 degrees and you have yourself a meal (These low fat chicken recipes does take a little longer because of the brown rice, so give yourself a least an hour and a half to two hours to get the rice nice and soft). The Latino version of these low fat chicken recipes would be to add some fresh tomatoes and maybe some cumin and garlic for the classic Arroz Con Pollo (Rice with Chicken).
- Chicken & Vegetables – This is a classic diet food and something in which you see without a doubt when it comes to low fat chicken recipes. Usually whole chicken breast, sometimes cut into chunks or strips sautéed or pan fried, seasoned with just salt and pepper (that’s how I like it you can add whatever you like for your low fat chicken recipes). Broccoli, Zucchini, Yellow squash, Bell Peppers sautéed as well with the cooked chicken on top (you can save yourself some time and effort by buying the precooked chicken breast).
- Baked Chicken with Potatoes – For these low fat chicken recipes, grab a whole chicken and lay it in a pan on top of some quartered red potatoes, carrots and onions. You can season it with just about anything, just make sure there is some salt and pepper involved.
Hopefully this gives you some ideas of the potential you have when creating new healthy dishes for this new year. It all comes down to understanding the principles and techniques behind the dishes and then coming up with your own take on them by adding flavors you like and taking away any flavors and ingredients you don’t like. It just takes some time.
So try some of these ideas out, with this basic understanding you can now customize your own low fat chicken recipes to what you want. After all these are just a few ideas when it comes to trying out some new low fat chicken recipes, you can now customize each one to you and your specific tastes.
Want to see more than about low fat chicken recipes, check this out!
Get more than just Low Fat Chicken Recipes here!
Incoming search terms: